Home Products Injection

Calcionate

Composition:
Each ampoule contains:
Calcium gluconate monohydrate    0.5 gm
Calcium levulinate                          0.3416 gm

Properties:
Calcium is essential for the functional integrity of the nervous & muscular systems. It is necessary for normal cardiac function & is one of the factors involved in the coagulation of blood. It also functions as an enzyme cofactor & affects the secretory activity of endocrine & exocrine glands. Calcium is essential for maintenance of cell membrane & capillary permeability, renal function & respiration.

Pharmacokinetics:
Calcium injection in water dissociates to provide calcium (Ca++) ions.
They are normal consitituents of the body fluids & are dependant on various physiologic mechanisms for maintenance of balance between intake & output. Approximately 80% of body calcium is excreted in the feces as insoluble salts; urinary excretion accounts for the remaining 20%.

Indications & usage:
Calcium injectable is indicated:
1-    For the treatment of hypocalcemia due to rapid growth or pregnancy.
2-    In conditions requiring a prompt increase in blood plasma calcium levels such as neonatal tetany & tetany due to parathyroid deficiency, vitamin D deficiency & Alkalosis.
3-    To decrease capillary permeability in sensitivity reactions.

Contraindications:
- Intravenous administration of calcium is contraindicated when serum calcium levels are above normal.
- Calcium, injectable, is contraindicated for cardiac resuscitation in the presence of ventricular fibrillation.

Side effects:
•    Rapid I. V. injection may cause the patient to complain of tingling sensation, a calcium or chalky taste, a sense of oppression or “heat wave“.
•    Injections of Ca++ are accompained by peripheral vasodilation as well as a local “burning“ sensation & there may be moderate fall in blood pressure.
•    Should perivascular infiltration occur, I. V. administration at that site should be discontinued at once.

Warnings& precautions:
•    If crystallization has occurred, warming may dissolve the precipitate. The injection must be clear at time of use.
•    Injection is allowed intravenously only.

- Rapid injection of Calcium gluconate may cause vasodilation, decreased blood pressure, bradycardia, cardiac arrhythmias, syncope & cardiac arrest.
- Calcium complexes tetracycline antibiotics rendering them inactive.
The drugs should not be mixed for parenteral administration.
-    Caution should be taken with digitalized patient.
-    Injection should be made slowly through a small needle into a larger vein to minimize venous irritation & avoid too rapid increase in serum calcium & extravasation of calcium solution into the surrounding tissue with resulting necrosis.  

Pregnancy:
Calcium injectable, should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.

Lactation:
Caution should be exercised when calcium injectable is administered to a nursing woman.

Dosage And administration:
One to two ampoules to be injected slowly intravenously daily as required & according to the advice of the physician.

Package:
Each box contains 6 Ampoules 10 ml.